Wednesday 27 February 2008

Indian Premier League

Since Last Post P/L: No Trading
Monthly P/L: £850.86

My mouth's watering and it's not because I've been eating a spicy vindaloo. The reason for my excitement is that I've just found out that the much vaunted Indian Premier League (cricket) will be screened by Setanta Sports when it kicks off on the 18th April.
.
The competition promises so much; great players, a Twenty20 format, a number of weekend games and not to forget the best cricket fans in the world.....the Indians. Add to the mix a big wad of Bollywood sponsored cash and you have all the ingredients for an amazing spectacle. Is it any surprise that I'm excited?!?

But hang on a minute...are there going to be any drawbacks?

Maybe.

As the tournament is being shown on a subscription channel I'm a little concerned that it won't get the coverage it needs to take off. Setanta took over the coverage of the PGA Tour Golf from Sky Sports last year and at best the service can be described as bland so there's a significant risk that only the die-hards will persevere, the liquidity on Betfair will be mediocre and I'll end up trading against the wise guys who'll make it difficult for me to profit.

We shall have to wait and see.
.

2 comments:

amorphous said...

I'm sure there will be plenty of liquidity...there is far too much hype around the tournament for there not to be serious trading interest.

I am holding out from subscribing to Setanta, but as they are gobbling up sports, I feel its only a matter of time before I have to shell out more cash!

From what I have heard, some of the 'live' sports they show have a horrendous time lag, so with a bit of luck I'll be able to find a stream that is almost as fast as Setanta!!

Mark Iverson said...

Yep, you're right BFL. The delay on the PGA Golf is around 45 seconds and that would be way too much in Twenty20 cricket.

I really hope they get it right though as this could be a great opportunity for trading.

All the best,

Mark

www.stanjames.com