Monday 15 August 2011

Football Match Database


. 
After spending a lot of time researching and gathering football statistics over the last few months, I've come to realise that I won't be able to commit to sending out weekly rating emails over the coming year.
.
As most of my time is focussed around cricket it only leaves so many hours in the day, and with a new baby on the way it's only going to become harder to manage!
However, it's not all bad news as I've decided to offer the data I hold to subscribers of last seasons ratings email and to readers of my blog.

In total, I now have access to over 30,000 football results covering seasons 2000/2001 to 2010/2011, with match statistics for each game at the click of mouse.  The majority of the major European leagues are included:

English Premier League
English Championship
English Leagues 1 & 2
Scottish Premier League
Spanish La Liga
German Bundesliga
French Ligue 1
Dutch Eredivisie

In addition I've also included my revamped performance ratings which splits a team performance into attack and defence (maximum of 13 points for each).  By doing this it helps me build an instant picture of a teams strengths and weaknesses. 
If you are proficient in excel and are happy at filtering and using pivot tables,then you can answer multitudes of questions in seconds - full data includes:

Home & Away teams with match dates
Full time scores (by team)
Half time scores (by team)
Attack, Defence & average performance ratings (by team)
Number of shots (by team)
Number of shots on goal (by team)
Number of fouls (by team)
Number of corners (by team)
Number of yellow cards (by team)
Number of red cards (by team)
Pre-match Bookmaker odds (home, draw & away)
Total match goals
Full time and half time results

I really believe that having this information makes a difference, so if you want access and a copy for yourself then follow the link below:

There's a small one off fee but after that the data is yours to keep and manipulate however you wish.  The data is supplied as a spreadsheet in .xls format and is best accessed using Microsoft Excel 2007 or later.

To give you an idea of what to expect I'm happy to email anyone interested a sample file of 500 matches for free - just email me at members@markiverson.com.  Enjoy!

Note - For those of you who do decide to purchase, please allow up to 24 hours for delivery and check your spam folders for my email.
.
I'm making this available as I feel some of you could benefit from using the data to analyse and benchmark past games, but if you're not interested or already have something similar then that's fine.




4 comments:

Average Guy said...

Silly question Mark, will you be continuing to update and will we be able to download updtaed versions. If not can you let us know what you use or how you categorise tne attack and defensive performances ?

Mark Iverson said...

Hi Average Guy,

If there is enough interest in this database then I'd consider updating at regular intervals probably for a small additional fee.​​

This database should allow you to gain a lot of knowledge from past results on its own though.

All the best,

Mark

Steve said...

What's the difference between this and the free data at www.football-data.co.uk Mark?

Steve

Mark Iverson said...

Hi Steve,

It's edited, collated and includes my performance ratings.

It would save someone a lot of time in doing it for themselves.

All the best,

Mark

www.stanjames.com