Sunday 6 May 2007

Stumped

Daily P/L: £59.51
Monthly P/L: £303.01

Let me get the good news out of the way first. I had a fantastic birthday on Friday with plenty of food and drink and plenty of laughs when playing golf on Saturday. The weather was superb too which really helped although I did get a little burnt. It was great to get away and I felt a lot better in myself this morning.

Now for the not so good news.

Worcestershire v Nottinghamshire
I'd marked up a par score on this pitch at 243 before played started and when Worcester made a respectable 234 off their 50 overs I made Notts slight favourites but the market had a different view with Worcestershire trading at 1.83. This was mainly due to how much the ball was turning for the spinners with the market expecting Notts to have a tough time keeping up with the run rate as the pitch and ball got slower. The game was in the balance for most of the innings but the crunch time came for me mid-way through. The Worcestershire spinners were just about to come on so I backed them at 1.81 expecting the Nottinghamshire run rate to fall and if there was a wicket then bingo! A minute later Batty had a free hit awarded against him which was smashed for six. The pendulum swung quickly as the next ball went for four and the Worcestershire price was out to 2.50. I cut my losses and bailed out of the trade expecting more chances to come my way but Hussey and Wagh had other ideas as they both played superbly to lead Notts to a very comfortable victory.

So another loss but I'm not going to let it get me down as I traded pretty well. In the end it was one wrong decision that made the difference and I can live with that. I just have to keep my head down and keep learning.
.

4 comments:

The Betfair Trader said...

There were some odds prices available in that Worcs v Notts game wasn't there?! I ended up falling foul of them too by getting too greedy.

I agree the free hit six was a bit of a momentum changer. Seems it caught us both out but in different ways.

Good luck if you do the Durham v Lancashire game on Monday. Sure you'll be back to winning ways before long.

Mark Iverson said...

Hi BT!

I'm not sure who the 'lumper' was in the Worcs v Notts game - it did get me thinking that something was up which may have altered the way I traded it.

Unbelievably everything went right for me in today's game which I'll post about later.

If you see me on the betfair forum my chat name is 'marky sparky' as I see you on there all the time.

I can't believe you made 19k in the last year - that's phenomenal. Well done mate as I know the wedding isn't far away - have you thought about what you're going to do after the big day (with regards to trading)?

All the best.

Mark

The Betfair Trader said...

Hi Mark,

"lumper". that's an apt description. They were large sums for the market weren't they! Several possibilities as to why though who is anyone's guess.

Pleased the Durham game went well for you and hope it puts you back on the winning road. Will look out for you on the forum.

I too am amazed at my result for the year. (I just did a 1st year review post) Bit gobsmacked by it all really. As for after the wedding. Well, I'll continue trading and no doubt keep the blog going is some way or another. Not quite sure how yet. Already had the suggestions to save £ for the divorce though!

Mark Iverson said...

Ha! Better not tell the missus about your plan!

www.stanjames.com