Friday 2 November 2007

Not Good News

Just a quick update as the 2nd baby scan was yesterday and I know some of you have expressed an interest on how things went.
.
I'm sad to say it wasn't the news we were hoping for. In short, the baby has four problems with his heart and this condition is known as Tetralogy of Fallot. This isn't great as it means that surgery is inevitable, with it likely to be 6 months after the birth before Doctors can operate as they have to wait until he reaches 6-8 kg. Unfortunately there is also another downside. Babies with this condition are also more likely to have Down's Syndrome or 22q11 Deletion Syndrome so with this in mind we agreed for Nicola to undergo an amniocentesis last night. Fortunately, the results should be with us within 4 working days for the Down's Syndrome so at least we won't have to wait too long but with us due to go on holiday on Monday our plans are now up in the air.
.
Please accept my apologies for spilling my life story on the web but this wasn't the original plan as I was just excited about becoming a Dad. I'd also like to say a big thank you to all of you that have left goodwill messages over the last few weeks as it means alot to both me and Nic.
.
Some brighter news is that I'm due to appear on the Man of Mystery radio show tomorrow afternoon which will hopefully take my mind off things a little. John has produced some cracking shows recently and has already had guests such as 'The Sports Trader' and 'The Gambler'. If you'd like to catch up with all of these editions you can do so by visiting his archive here.
.

20 comments:

STST said...

Good luck with everything Mark. I wish all three of you the very best.

Take Care

Gareth

Anonymous said...

Hi Mark, I'm so sorry to read about the complications. Challenges like this are tough. Please give my best wishes to Nicola.

I'm looking forward to our chat later and I'll call you around 11.30 your time to test audio levels. Then I propose we'll be live when I call again about 10 minutes later.

Mark Iverson said...

Hi Gareth,

Thanks mate - hopefully everything will turn out okay in the long run.

All the best,

Mark

Mark Iverson said...

Hi John,

That's fine - I look forward to speaking with you later and thanks for the good wishes.

All the best,

Mark

Ray said...

HiMark,

Just a quick message to wish you and your family all the very best of luck after hearing your disapointing news today.

I am looking forward to your slot on WUBT today.

Ray

Mark Iverson said...

Hi Ray,

Thanks very much mate - if I can answer John's questions half as good as you I'll be very happy :-)

All the best,

Mark

amorphous said...

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

All the best for you and your family

Slipperytoad said...

Mark,

I am going through some personal issues myself and therefore I have limited my betting activity recently. But after reading your messages, I recognised that there are people that have bigger challenges to deal with in life. We have not spoken directly but over the years I have felt that I have grown to know you as a mentor and friend.

My thoughts are with you at this moment in time.

Mark Iverson said...

Hi Betfair Loser,

Thanks very much for your support.

All the best,

Mark

Mark Iverson said...

Hi Mike,

I'm sorry to hear you are going through a rough patch. I try to look at things in a similar light and try to remember that there are many worse off people in the world than myself.

Take care mate.

All the best,

Mark

Kathy said...

I'm sure having a child with Down syndrome is not a path you and your wife would choose for yourselves. We felt the same way when our daughter with DS was born. My husband took it especially hard and was depressed for months. But this little girl (along with her sister) is the light of our lives and my husband now says families with a child with DS are the lucky ones. If you find out that your child does have DS please feel free to contact us, we have lots of information to share and support to give.
Kathy and Michael

dip said...

Hi Mark,
It is difficult time i know but keep faith in god.Take care and all the best.
Dip

Clive said...

Hi Mark,

Really sorry to hear about the complications.
Thinking of you and Nic at this time.
Good luck with everything.

Clive

Mark Iverson said...

Hi Kathy,

Thank you for such a lovely message. I really don't know what we would do if the DS results come back positive as this would be combined with the heart condition but I can totally understand how special your little girl is.

If you can email me your contact details to mark@markiverson.com just in case it would be appreciated.

Thanks again.

Mark & Nicola

Mark Iverson said...

Hi Dip,

Nice to hear from you - many thanks for your best wishes.

All the best,

Mark

Mark Iverson said...

Hiya Clive,

How are you doing buddy?

Thanks for leaving a comment - not great news but life goes on eh?

Take care mate.

Mark

Anonymous said...

All the best to you and all Mark.

Don't worry about spilling your beans on the blog.

It is the inevitable consequence of starting one.

Love and Best wishes to you and all.

Mark Iverson said...

Hi anonymous,

Thanks very much for the best wishes - yep, guess you're right about the blog - you have to take the rough with the smooth.

All the best,

Mark

Anonymous said...

As a doctor, I can tell you that TOF is extremely routine these days, you're in safe hands, and the odds of a trouble free life for you child are short indeed. Hope this helps.

Mark Iverson said...

Hi Anonymous,

Thanks for your message - your comments are very re-assuring and are very much appreciated.

All the best,

Mark

www.stanjames.com