Monday 25 June 2007

Soggy Spirits

Daily P/L: £52.45
Monthly P/L: £12.92
.
What's with the British weather? It's the end of June and we have rain forecast for every day this week which puts a big dampener on the three days holiday I've taken. I was hoping to sneak a bit of Wimbledon trading in alongside the Twenty20 but it looks as if play will be hit with a string of delays which leaves me scrapping to end the month in profit.
.
Surrey v Hampshire
Rain was also on the menu today but in a fortunate way it helped me make my profit. When coverage started at the Oval the forecast wasn't good - the umpires had been out and reported back that the start would be delayed by at least an hour and that if they did get started more showers were predicted for later. In Twenty20 if the game is put back then the number of overs per side is reduced. At just gone 3pm the call went out that it'd be a 4pm start with the match reduced to 10 overs each so my initial feelings were to back away from the outright market (it would be more of a lottery now) and look for opportunities elsewhere. On the completed match market there was some money available to back at 1.79. I'd taken a look at the rainfall radar and even though it was bucketing down in Sussex the clouds seemed to be moving over the Channel so I ended snapping up all that was on offer. I also knew that for the match to be deemed completed the second batting team only had to face 5 overs. This meant that as long as 15 overs could be bowled (10 + 5) there'd be a result and I'd be in profit. With every over taking on average 4 mins to bowl this equated to an hour's play with a 10 minute break between innings. Therefore, if no rain appeared between 4pm and 5.10pm I would be okay.
.
I got a bit nervous when the clouds starting spitting just after the start of the second innings but the downpour held off and I survived. I did squander a little bit of profit whilst the match was in play but not enough to worry about and I finished with a green screen of £52.45.
.
Let's hope the sun puts his hat on for the rest of the week.
.

No comments:

www.stanjames.com